Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lecture 1: "You are the Journalist"


"I know of no human being who has a better time than an eager and energetic young
reporter",

continues to stick like a residue in the back of my mind. Having always had a passion for Debate, discussion and reading from a young age, especially in relation to sport, Dr Redman readied my insecurity in the doubt about the ability to get joy out of working in the current news media industry. Journalism has always appealed to me for the sole reason i check a host of news sites and mediums everyday in search of the latest hot interest item, and it makes sense to me to pursue what i enjoy.

Although brief, the lecture is clever in achieving its purpose of 'hooking' students. The relevance and casual nature of the compiled quotes and references enabled us to take away a huge interest and positive outlook toward the course. The engaging modem and low modality Dr Redman used, whilst easily and effectively conveying important information and ideas, made me feel positive that i was in the right place and that he was indeed qualified to teach journalism.

 The quotes, "I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world" and "Journalism is little more than scribbling on the back of advertisements" seem relevant, whilst being both exciting and challenging to me.  A feeling a think was universally shared amongst my peers.

I was also interested in the current issues facing contemporary journalist such as public perception of Journalists, technology and the death of the newspaper and news that is seen as entertainment.

Keen for next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
First Year Journalism/Arts Student